Loren Spivack "Defining and Defending Freedom"
Tuesday Apr 28th, 2015 - Noon to 1:05 p.m.
Directions: (Google Maps) Exit Hwy 41 at College Ave, go west one block to Mall Drive, turn right, go one block, turn right on Fox River Dr.
Former President George W. Bush frequently spoke of a universal call for freedom found in every heart and mind. In a superficial sense, he was right. Everyone says they are for freedom.
Yet such universal acclaim should raise some questions. It may not surprise us to hear a libertarian or a traditional conservative defend freedom. Yet radically differing ideologies, including progressivism, Radical Islam, and National Socialism, also claim the same banner. Nor is this merely the cynical manipulation of language by hypocritical politicians and tyrants. In each case, the devotee is capable of demonstrating how his philosophy expands freedom — if you accept his definition.
What then is freedom? Why is it so misunderstood? Why, in spite of its near universal acclaim, is it so rare in practice?
On Tuesday, April 28, economics expert and Forum favorite, Loren Spivack, will join us to share select ideas from his latest seminar series on the nature of freedom and how it relates to law, tradition, democracy, and environmentalism. (His full presentation will be hosted by the Fox Valley Initiative on May 4-5. See below.) Anyone who has attended Loren’s prior presentations can attest to his knowledge, skill and wit as an instructor for liberty. You do not want to miss this event.
Please join us. We meet at noon, order lunch, start at 12:05 p.m., and end at 1:05 p.m. Admission is free. Meal purchases and donations are encouraged.
SPECIAL UPCOMING SEMINAR:
On May 4-5, the Fox Valley Initiative will be hosting Loren’s full seminar on Defining and Defending Freedom. In this two-evening seminar, Loren will fully cover the ideas touched upon in his overview for the Forum.
The location will be the Freedom Project Education building on 750 North Hickory Farm Lane in Appleton. The seminar runs from 6:00 PM to 9:30 PM each night. Cost is free with donations encouraged.
- On May 5, in follow-up to our recent ObamaCops presentation, Jim Fitzgerald will join us to discuss the JBS's decades-long campaign against police nationalization and militarization called "Support your Local Police -- and Keep Them Independent!"
- Look for future luncheons exposing the deleterious effects of industrial wind turbines on human health and a legislative update from Senator Lasee.
- On Saturday, April 25, from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM at the Machine Shed Restaurant in Appleton, the WI Conservative Coalition will host a panel of several State Senators and Assemblymen to discuss (6) significant legislative issues (link).
- On the evenings of May 4-5, Loren Spivack will present his full seminar on Defining and Defending Freedom at the Freedom Project Education building in Appleton.
- On Thursday, May 7, Wisconsin Family Council's Julaine Appling will speak at the Pizza Ranch in Appleton about how to strengthen families and defend religious liberty (link).