Tony Urso "Update on School Accountability, Vouchers, Common Core, and More!"
Tuesday May 26th, 2015 - Noon to 1:05 p.m.
Directions: (Google Maps) Exit Hwy 41 at College Ave, go west one block to Mall Drive, turn right, go one block, turn right on Fox River Dr.
Early Wednesday morning, after several hours of debate, the Wisconsin Legislature’s Joint Finance Committee voted along party lines to incorporate sweeping changes in educational policy into the still-debated state budget. The list is extensive. The most noteworthy provisions include increased public school funding, the gradual elimination of the cap on tax-funded vouchers, the creation of a voucher program for disabled children, and the creation of a modified “accountability” system for all schools that accept government money.
On the same day, the Governor signed into law SB-67 (Act 20), which prohibits the publication of accountability reports for the 2015-2016 school year. This bill will shield the public from the painful — but necessary — feedback experienced in other states as the results of standardized tests were revealed.
Lastly, the DPI has begun seeking bids for a new standardized test that would be aligned to “Wisconsin’s state standards.” What are Wisconsin’s standards these days? Critics suspect educrats will use the ambiguity to simply institute a Common-Core aligned test under another name.
To help us understand this flurry of activity, we are delighted to welcome back to the Forum conservative activist and Madison native, Tony Urso. Because of his past experience as a legislative aid and his proximity to the capitol, Tony is a valuable resource on the machinations in Madison.
Please join us. We meet at noon, order lunch, start at 12:05 p.m., and end at 1:05 p.m. Admission is free. Meal purchases and donations are encouraged.
- For proof that the TPP and TTIP are intentionally designed to evolve into legally-binding, supranational governments after the pattern established by the evolution of the European Union, read Bill Jasper's latest article (link).
- To understand the unparalleled secrecy in TPP and TTIP negotiations, read the complaints of Obama's own trade advisor, Michael Wessel (link).
- To learn why even a free-trade libertarian should oppose these massive managed-trade agreements, see Ron Paul’s arguments regarding a similar agreement during his time in Congress (link). Also, read pages 95-99 of his book, The Revolution: A Manifesto (link).
- On June 2, European educator and political expert, Dr. Victor Konets, will return to the Forum to elaborate upon distinctions between American and European political systems.
- On June 9, author Alex Newman will discuss his new book, Crimes of the Educators, and expose the plot of progressive educrats to deliberately dumb down the American people.
- On June 16, Senator Frank Lasee will provide a legislative update.
- On June 23, Julaine Appling will comment upon the upcoming Supreme Court decision regarding the definition of marriage and the effect this will have upon our lives and society.